Ten things we know about this author:
- This author was born on September 13, 1916 in Wales and died on 23 Nov 1990.
- His parents came to Wales from Norway, and the author's first language was Norwegian.
- His best known books include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- He served in the British Army in 1939; and then in the Royal Air Force from 1939-1946.
- His books sold more than 250 MILLION copies throughout the world.
- When he was eight he was among a group of boys that put a dead mouse in a candy jar at a local sweet shop - "Great Mouse Plot of 1924"
- When he wa in boarding school as a boy he was very lonely and wrote his mother every week. When she died in 1967 he discovered that she saved every letter that she wrote him.
- He was six feet, six inches tall.
- He was a fighting Ace pilot for the British Air Force during World War II
- He is buried in the St Peter and St Paul's Church in Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, England.
And if you don't already know the first author who shares my birthday is Roald Dahl -- In November 1996, the Roald Dahl Children's Gallery was opened at the Buckinghamshire County Museum in nearby Aylesbury.