All things literacy — Authors, Books, Connections . . .

Friday, June 22, 2007

ALA - Washington DC

I've never been to Washington before so flying in was an interesting sight. No delays - despite Chicago being shut down for two hours a day or two ago. Uneventful.
Checked in at the Four Points by Sheraton. Very nice and just three blocks from the convention center (although - trust me I will not walk it again). It's hot and muggy and I end up walking five blocks instead of one because I am so geographically challenged.

This conference is the culmination of my work on the Caldecott Committee - Tonight Walker Books has invited us to dinner and we are to be able to meet David McLimans -- the author/illustrator of Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet. The book was createdentirely in black and white with just one touch of red on each page. So tonight the committee will dress in black and white with just a touch of red. Cool idea -- I can say that because it was not my idea. Fit right into my wardrobe as I generally wear just black and white anyway.

Tomorrow night we dine with Hyperion, the pubishers of Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom by Carole Boston Weatherford and ilustrated by Kadir Nelson (Nelson of course is the winner of the award).

Sunday night is the Newbery Caldecott banquet itself during which the awards will actually be given. I will attend with Walker. Should be much fun.

And finally on Monday night wewill dine with Clarion books and meet David Wiesner who won the Caldecott Award with Flotsam. With that win he became only the seoonc person to have won the award three times. Marcia Brown is the other three-time winner.

I am look forward to a productive (and fun) four days.

More later.
Sharron

No comments:

Post a Comment