Ten Things we know:
- Her series of books about Little Bear was illustrated by Maurice Sendak.
- Born on September 13 in 1920, she died on 12 July 2012.
- She was born in Fredericia, Denmark.
- Moved to the United States at the age of four.
- She was widowed at the age of 43.
- She was a first-grade teacher in New York City and later moved to New Hampshire.
- She remarried (1970) and after the death of her second husband, Pulitzer-winning journalist Homer Bigart (1991) she moved to North Carolina.
- She wrote her books in longhand.
- Her last book was Little Bear and the Marco Polo.
- She died of complications of a heart attack, at the age of 91.
Author #3 is Else Holmelund Minarik. Her first husband who she married at age 20 was Walter Minarik. Before she wasa a first-grade teacher she was a journalist writing for the Daily Sentinel - a newspaper of rome, New York (curing World War II).