All things literacy — Authors, Books, Connections . . .

Monday, June 17, 2019

Say Something by Peter H. Reynolds

Say Something by Peter H. Reynolds (Orchard/Scholastic, 2019) encourages young learners (and everyone) to find their own voice and speak up when they have something to say.
Well one six-year-old has found his voice and feels empowered.  Recently we (he and I) discussed that we would make a special activity place for him in the "back room" downstairs.  It is accessed by French doors and is beginning to shape up nicely.  Feeling that he had a space that he could call his own at our house he decided to put up a sign that declared "No G.G."  G.G. is me.
But since the room is still evolving I need to be in there to set up his painting easel, to make a space for him to draw and a comfy place to read by his bookshelves.  So today I entered the room.  It was not long before this note appeared on the back of the "No G.G." sign.
Translated the message reads:

Okay well then.  I guess I stay out until the sign comes off (or he goes home to his mom and dad).  I have a feeling this is not the last of his efforts to "say something."
Every child should be encouraged to find their own voice and to do it to express what they need/want to say.  Clearly he wants control over HIS space.  I hope he plans to vacuum and dust too.  LOL.

Read more about the writing of Peter H. Reynolds at this earlier blog post: Meet Peter H. Reynolds (May 2016).  McBookwords.  https://mcbookwords.blogspot.com/2016/05/meet-peter-h-reynolds.html

No comments:

Post a Comment